What we read:
· The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
· Finished Venom and Song by Batson & Hopper
- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
· Mystery of History covering
o Ice Age, dinosaurs, Gilgamesh, Stonehenge, early Egypt, the Minoans
· Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
What we did:
· Lots if nail art. Lorelei started a nail polish swatch & design notebook
· Researched acrylic nails – pros, cons, how-to
· Lorelei did her own acrylic manicure
· Doodling & tangling
· Played around with photo editing
· Worked on drawing realistic cats
· Made banana bread
· Worked on Life of Fred, Kidneys – Chapters 1 - 5
· Made lots of flexahexagons
· Designing outfits on Polyvore app
· Disappearing egg shell experiment
· Helicopter tour of Oahu
· Ivory soap experiment – states of matter, heat, expanding gases
· Cool Math 4 Kids strategy games
· Pinterest for design inspiration
· Researched Vietnamese flying fox – actually a bat, lives in newly discovered Son Doong Cave in Vietnam
· Journaling, poem writing
· Iphone upgrade and playing around with it
· Seterra geography, memorizing North American countries & US States
· Writing emoji stories
· Upcycled a jean jacket into a jean vest – ombre dyed in bleach
· Made Lembas bread for Hobbit week!
· Made clay props for Halloween costume
· Learned about diabetes now that our cat has high glucose
What we watched:
· Vihart video on parabola doodling. Covered how parabolas, dots, lines, cones & cone sections are all related.
· Latest VSauce videos
· Vihart videos about flexahexagons.
· Observed an ant colony invading our mint plant
· Observed a mud wasp making a hive
Where we went:
· Sally’s Beauty supply for info about acrylic nails. Had to ask for help by herself. Big step.
· Tok cat to the Vet.
· Trampoline House
· BIG ISLAND WEEKEND TRIP!
o Volcanoes National Park
o Southern most point in the US!
o Black & green sand beach
o Top of Mauna Kea
o Keck Observatory, got a nice mini tour from a scientist there
o Found a locals beach full of old glass. Decades old, broken soda & beer bottles. La’s favorite part!
o Swam with Manta Rays! Incredible!
What we talked about:
· Government shutdown, how the Congress is designed to function vs. how it functions today.
· Issues of mind control in government.
· Facism vs. Communism
· Idioms and their historical origins